Crazy Rich Asians Trilogy by Kevin Kwan



OK, I’m not going to lie and say that, when I picked up Crazy Rich Asians a few months ago, I didn’t pick it up because of the movie trailer. Because I did. The movie looked good, so I picked up the book. And I loved it and binge-read the rest of the series this summer. Oh, and the movie was just as good as it looked.

The first novel in the series, Crazy Rich Asians, follows A LOT of characters, but at the center of them is Chinese-American Rachel Chu, an economics professor at NYU, who agrees to spend the summer with her boyfriend, Nick, in Singapore as he is the best man at his friend’s wedding. But Nick fails to tell Rachel that he comes from one of Singapore’s (and therefore the world’s) most wealthy and influential families, and Nick himself is one of the most eligible bachelor’s in Asia. Oh, and basically everyone in Singapore is out to get Rachel because of her connection to Nick.

I loved Crazy Rich Asians so much! It was absolutely hilarious, and some of the characters, despite how awful they were, ended up being some of my favorites purely because of how hilarious they were. There are also a lot of footnotes within the novel; some of them are translations of Chinese phrases, while others are hilarious commentary from the author. I had planned on simply reading the first book and leaving it at that, but I quickly became addicted to the series and knew I had to read the whole thing. I brought the second book, China Rich Girlfriend, with me to France, but when I quickly finished it, I couldn’t find the third book at any bookstore, so I ordered it and it was waiting for me when I got home. Although I enjoyed China Rich Girlfriend, it ended up being my least favorite in the series. I really loved Rich People Problems, but I couldn’t tell you if I liked it more than Crazy Rich Asians.

All in all, I definitely recommend the series, and the movie, and I really hope the sequels get made into films as well!

Series Rating: 5/5


XOXO,


Isabella 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins: The Book I Am Most Conflicted About

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: The Most Timely Book