The Dirty Book Club by Lisi Harrison




I picked this book up on a whim while I was browsing in Barnes & Noble. I saw it on the table, and the title, The Dirty Book Club, immediately caught my attention. I was a little hesitant when I saw that the author was Lisi Harrison, the author of the Clique series, was the author of this book, as I find Harrison’s writing to be quite mediocre. But I love reading books about books and book clubs, and I figured it would be the perfect book to read while on vacation in France.

The Dirty Book Club follows three women who have, for lack of a better word, “inherited” a book club that reads only dirty books from their elderly predecessors. We follow a career woman who has recently moved to California with her boyfriend (where the novel takes place), an over-worked mom, and a woman who avoids responsibility.

This book sounded like it would be very fun, and I loved the concept of a book club that reads only dirty books. It was fun seeing the women discuss the books and also reading the letters that the women from the first generation of the club wrote about each book that they read. Unfortunately, this was about as far as my enjoyment of the book went. I really didn’t care for any of the characters, and I felt that the plot could have had more substance. But my biggest gripe was the writing, which I feared would be the case the moment I saw who the author was. I hate to say it, but Lisi Harrison’s writing is horrible. I really hoped that with this being an adult book, the writing would be a lot better, but alas, this was not the case. But despite this, I did enjoy The Dirty Book Club. It was fun and lighthearted, and I really liked seeing these three women who are very different find a sisterhood through a book club. I would recommend it if you’re looking for a light, quick, beach read. But as far as my personal enjoyment goes, it was difficult to love mainly because of the writing. Had the writing been better, I feel the book would have been much more enjoyable.

I struggled with the rating on this one, not just because of the writing. The concept was fun, but the execution was quite poor.

Rating: 3/5

XOXO,

Isabella 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins: The Book I Am Most Conflicted About

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: The Most Timely Book