Tis The Season-A-Thon TBR!







It's time for another read-a-thon! And hopefully one that is more successful than the previous one I participated in...

Anyways, I will be participating in the Tis the Seasonathon, which is a holiday read-a-thon hosted by two of my favorite booktubers, Heather from Bookables (who created this read-a-thon) and Kristin from Super Space Chick. This is a holiday themed read-a-thon (you can really read whatever you want though, which is what I will be doing, as only one of the challenges is holiday specific) that will take place from December 3rd-9th

And here are the challenges!

1. Read a book with red or green on the cover

For this challenge, I will be reading The Lying Woods by Ashley Elston, which has a very green cover. This book is about a boy names Owen who is a very wealthy due to his father's company. But one day his mother shows up at his fancy boarding school to pull him out because, not only has his father gone missing, his father made his fortune on stolen money, by cheating and embezzling and hurting a lot of people in their small town. So Owen has to go back home to finish his senior year in a town where everyone hates him because of his father's crimes. Oh, and someone's blackmailing him. So Owen has to find out the truth behind his father's company, where he uncovers a terrible injustice and a shocking truth from his past. I read Ashley's other thriller, This Is Our Story, on Kristin from Super Space Chick's recommendation, and I absolutely loved it! I also know that Kristin loved The Lying Woods as well, so I am super excited to read it, and if it is as good as This Is Our Story, I know I'll fly through it.



2. Read a book while listening to holiday music

I'm someone who, unless I'm on a plane, gets distracted reading while listening to music. For that reason, I've chosen my shortest book for this challenge, which is also a play, and that it King Charles III by Mike Bartlett. This is a Shakespearean style play that imagines what happens after Queen Elizabeth II has died and Charles becomes King. Ever since I heard about this play a couple years ago, I've wanted to read it, but I've just never gotten my hands on it since it's not available in most bookstores. It also takes place pre-Meghan Markle, so I imagine it's even more inaccurate than it would be had this play been written after she joined the royal family. Anyways, I saw this book in a Broadway shop when I was in NYC, and I figured this was a great time to read it. 



3. Read a book that is warm and fuzzy

For this challenge, read a book that is warm and fuzzy, whatever that means to you. I have a few options for this challenge, so we'll see what I end up doing. My first option is Paperback Crush by Gabrielle Moss, which is an illustrated book all about the history of YA literature during the '80s and '90s. I love reading books about books, and they make me feel warm and fuzzy. There's also a sense of nostalgia behind it, which makes it warm and fuzzy as well; I wasn't around during the '80s or '90s, but my mom was, and she loved Sweet Valley High when she was a teenager, so I read a bunch of them when I was younger. I really want to read this book, but it's the type of book that you don't really read in one or two sittings, so I'm not sure if I will be able to finish it in one week, particularly as I will be finishing up my first semester of college during this time. My other two options are re-reads that made me feel warm and fuzzy when I read them: A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. 



4. Read a short book (under 250 pages)

I am using King Charles III for this challenge, but ACOFAS would also fulfill this challenge.

5. Read a holiday themed book 

Believe it or not, this is the challenge I'm most excited for, despite the fact that I'm choosing not to read holiday-themed books for any of the other challenges. The book I am going to read for this challenge is The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand. This book is very difficult to explain, but I will try my best. It follows our main character Holly Chase who is a super-rich, terrible, awful person. A scrooge. On Christmas Eve she is visited by the ghosts of past, present, and future, who show her how horrible she is and try to convince her to change her ways. But Holly does not, and then she dies. Five years later, she's woking for this organization, Project Scrooge, as the ghost of Christmas Past. Project Scrooge picks a scrooge every year, who they try to change for the better. This year, the scrooge is a hot teenager named Ethan who Holly sees herself in and with whom Holly becomes more involved with than she should. I've heard so many great things about this book from both Heather and Kristin, and Emma from EmmmaBooks RAVED about this book last year. I just picked up my copy and it's a struggle to not start reading it right now! 




And that is my TBR for the Tis the Season-a-Thon! I hope you all participate, and definitely check out Heather and Kristin and all the other hosts' channels, which I will link below! 



XOXO,

Isabella 


Tis the Season-A-Thon Hosts:

Heather (Bookables)
Kristin (Super Space Chick)
Chelsea (Chelseadolling reads)
Trina (Between Chapters)
Amy (A Court of Crowns and Quills)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins: The Book I Am Most Conflicted About

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: The Most Timely Book