End of Year Reading Survey!!!

The end of year reading survey is a really fun way to reflect on your reading year and the books you read, as well as the books you are looking forward to in the new year! I love doing this survey every year, so here is the 2018 edition! I worked really hard to make sure I answered each question with only one book.

All of these questions were created by Jame from the Perpetual Page Turner, so definitely check out her blog and original post here!

Number Of Books You Read: 89
Number of Re-Reads: 8
Genre You Read The Most From: YA 

1. Best Book You Read In 2018?

Without a doubt, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.  

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

The Towering Sky by Katharine McGee. I absolutely love this series, and I love Katie, but I didn't love this conclusion as much as I was expecting to. This third book ended up being my least favorite in the series. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  

Damsel by Elana K. Arnold. Check out my review here to see why. 

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?

I've recommended The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo to everyone, but I can't say those same people have read it... but I also recommended The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir to a lot of people, and at least my mom read it. 

5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?

Best series I started: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
Best sequel: Legendary by Stephanie Garber 

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?

 Taylor Jenkins Reid, of course!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. This was my first adult epic fantasy novel! 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas. I loved this thriller so much and I devoured it within a few hours.  

9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. This book doesn't come out until March of 2019, so I will definitely be reading the finished copy and listening to the audiobook, as I imagine that, since the book is told all in interviews, the audiobook will feature a full cast.  

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?

Emergency Contact by Mary H. K. Choi

11. Most memorable character of 2018?

Evelyn Hugo :)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
 Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult. This was my second favorite book of the year, and it could not be more timely or thought-provoking
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? 
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. I'm kicking myself for waiting until the end of 2018 to read this series. But on the positive side, I was able to marathon the entire series all at once and not have to wait a year for all my questions to be answered.  
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
Oh, there were so many! But I will never forget this quote (among others) from Dr. Louie Ward in Jodi Picoult's A Spark of Light: "Whether or not you believed a fetus was a human being, there was no question in anyone's mind that a grown woman was one. Even if you placed a moral value on that fetus, you couldn't give it rights unless they were stripped away from the woman carrying it. Perhaps the question wasn't when a fetus became a person but when does a woman stop becoming one?" This quote just gives me chills.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?

I've read a few picture books and board books this year, but I'm not going to count those for this question. So,
Shortest book: The Refrigerator Monologues by Cathrynne M. Valente
Longest book: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss 
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager. The ending of this book SHOCKED me, and it quite honestly made the book. 

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

Cassian and Nesta from the ACOTAR series. I read A Court of Frost and Starlight this year, and I just want them to get together already!  

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Sawyer, Lily, and Sadie-Grace from Little White Lies by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I loved this book, and I adored the friendship between these three girls. It was really refreshing to read a story about debutantes that featured really strong friendships and not backstabbing and malicious plotting.  

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Legendary by Stephanie Garber. If you didn't enjoy Caraval all that much, you should still read Legendary and then evaluate whether you want to continue with this series.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I first heard about this book from Emma over at EmmmaBooks, and then so many other BookTubers read this book off of her recommendation. Thanks, Emma!

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?

TBH, I didn't personally crush on any characters this year, but I did reread Twilight, so Edward Cullen because, duh. Yes, I am still a Twilight fan, despite being an informed adult and die-hard feminist. And of course Rhysand. 

23. Best 2018 debut you read?

The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir. I really wish more people would read this book! 

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

I'm going to have to go with Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend. It's a wonderful middle grade series, and I read both the first and second books in the series this year. 

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. This entire series was loads of fun! I had planned on only reading the first book in the series, but I ended up reading the entire trilogy this summer, and I had a blast! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?

The Lying Woods by Ashley Elston. I nearly cried. I haven't cried real tears while reading since The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis. The Lying Woods really reminded me of The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

The Refrigerator Monologues by Cathrynne M. Valente. I feel like not a lot of people have read this book, and if people had, it would be very popular. It was recently announced that Amazon is making a TV series off of it. Anyways, if you like superheroes and feminism, this book is for you. It's a short collection of connected short stories that follows women inspired by women from superhero franchises who have been "refrigerated"-raped, killed, beaten, driven mad for the purpose of furthering the male story line. The book follows a handful of women; there'a a character inspired by Gwen Stacy, Harley Quinn, Jean Grey, and more! It's hilarious and empowering and more people should read it!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand.  

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?

All of This Is True by Lygia Day Penaflor. I know a lot of people didn't, but I loved this book so much. It follows a handful of teens who befriend their favorite author who in turn writes her next book about them and their secrets with disastrous consequences. It is told in interviews, blog posts, and excerpts from the novel the author within the book wrote. It's so unique and I've never read anything like it before! 

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Damsel by Elana K. Arnold

Looking Ahead:


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
On the Come Up by Angie Thomas 

3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

Again, but Better by Christine Riccio 


4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
Finale by Stephanie Garber 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?

Read 100 books, not including picture/board books! 

6. A 2019 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):

Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Keep an eye out for my review, which will be published closer to the publication date in March!

XOXO,

Isabella 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins: The Book I Am Most Conflicted About

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: The Most Timely Book