Girls on the Verge by Sharon Biggs Waller





This is my right. I deserve to be heard.

I am so glad that this book exists. And I am so glad this book was written for teens.

Girls on the Verge follows three girls from Texas who have to go on a road trip so that one of them can obtain an abortion, as Texas abortion restrictions have made it impossible for our main character, Camille, to exercise her legal right to choose.

This book is extraordinary. Every once in a while, a book comes along that just hits you right in the gut, and this is one of those books.

I am unapologetically pro-choice, and reproductive freedom is one of, if not the issue, that I am most passionate about. There are a million reasons I can give in favor of the pro-choice movement, but I really appreciated that this book focused on a specific, less talked about element of the movement: access to reproductive healthcare. This book really focuses on the fact that abortion is a LEGAL procedure that old white men who will never be pregnant are trying to, and in many instances succeeding in, preventing women from having.

I received an ARC of Girls on the Verge from Macmillan for review, and it comes out April 9th, so be sure to pick up a copy!

XOXO,

Isabella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

People Kill People by Ellen Hopkins: The Book I Am Most Conflicted About

Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: The Most Timely Book